11.10.2011

10 Things: November Edition. Vintage Inspiration List

This past spring I took Jenni Bowlin's class at Big Picture Classes, and it opened up a whole new world for me. Gotta say I loved it. I was always a little intimidated by going into antique shops, but after this class it is one of my favorite things to do when I have a little play time. One of the things she suggested was to make a top 10 list of things that inspire us. I am not sure I shared mine in class, so this is what I have so far.



1. Old typewriters and typography.



2. Letters and numbers.



3. Storage containers of all kinds: my favorite are vintage locker baskets and egg baskets.


4. Flower frogs: love having these around to hold up photos, invitations, cards, etc.



5. Wooden boxes, especially tool boxes. See number three.


6. Cute little salt and pepper shakers. Awesome storage for glass glitter. Which was something I never thought I would use until this class and now I love it. And they look so cute on my shelf. Also in the glass category would have to be old Ball jars. I have a green one I just love. It has my "stories of the year" project in it (from Pinterest)







7. Chalkboards. Maybe it's because we had a giant chalkboard in our attic where I would play "teacher" for hours as a kid. I just love chalkboards. Here I am using a vintage chalkboard as an inspiration board.



8. Vintage cookie cutters, pie tart tins, little jello molds, muffin tins. I think it is all the silver. I have always loved silver, but that's another story. And I think it is because I love food. I store embellishments in these and also use them for "beyond the page" projects, like these pie tart tin refrigerator magnets.





9. Old postcards and photos. Especially when they are pictures of my Grandma laughing as she fell down with roller skates on. That is one of my all time favorites. See inspiration board above. I like using the postcards in my minibooks. I found a bunch at an estate sale and have had fun using them.

10. Office and school supplies, yardsticks and vintage cameras. And whatever else jumps out at me that day!


Looking back I would never have thought of using these a year ago. I love how as we learn things our styles can evolve. I wouldn't say I'm totally vintage. Definitely a mix of modern + vintage items. Still love my IKEA and where would I be without the Container Store?

What are some of your favorite vintage items to use either as storage or in your scrapbooking?

For more 10 things on the 10th check out http://www.shimelle.com/paper/1287/10-things-november-2011/

3 comments:

  1. looks like we LOVE the same types of things!!! new follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these evocative photos, such a treasure trove of 'old' stuff you have ('vintage' somehow doesn't convey quite the same history to me).
    I also love postcards, old wooden wine crates for kindling, old teatowels (but unused, so often found in charity shops) for tote bags, and old silk head squares to wrap gifts in.
    Elx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great Ten Things list. I think my favorite from your list would be the old typewriter. I use a vintag magazine rack that was my hubby's grandmother's for displaying Playbills & programs from theatre productions we've seen. And I'm using his grandmother's sewing machine cabinet as a printer table in my craft room.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog & checking out my ten favorite signs!

    ReplyDelete